Request an Application
If you are interested in applying for 2017, email your request for an application to Sondra Goodman, or call 800-274-2237, ext 4457. Once you've completed your application packet, submit it electronically to Sondra Goodman.
Application packet materials must be received by 7:00 pm Central Time, Wednesday, March 15, 2017.
The Family Medicine Cares Resident Service Award for $16,500 has the following requirements:
- Resident must work with an organization that provides health care (e.g., free clinic, health department) to enhance services.
- Project must address a health disparity in the community.
- Project should have an enduring benefit to the patients and the community that will continue after the 12-month project period.
- Resident must present results at the AAFP National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students.
In designing the project, emphasis should be placed on activities that will have an enduring benefit to the patients and the community after the 12-month project period. Projects that can be continued or replicated by other Family Medicine residents in the future are also encouraged.
It may be helpful to obtain input from the clinic's staff when designing the project.
- Must be a first- or second-year Family Medicine resident
- Must be a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- Must still be a Family Medicine resident when the project period ends
The 12-month project period runs from June through May.
How to Apply
- To request an application, send an email to Sondra Goodman or call (800) 274-2237, ext. 4457. An example of a successful project description is also available on request.
- Send completed application materials by email; a hard copy of the application packet is not required.
- The deadline to apply is Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 7:00 pm Central Time.
Letters of Recommendation/Support
Three letters are required to be submitted with the application:
- One letter of recommendation from the resident’s residency director.
- One letter of support from the director of the free clinic (or other health care facility).
- One letter from the mentor (clinic director or other physician) agreeing to assist with the project should the award be granted.
The application and supporting materials must be received by Wednesday, March 15, 2017, at 7:00 pm Central Time.
The winner of the Family Medicine Cares Resident Service Award will be announced by May 5, 2017.
If you have any questions please feel free to email or call Sondra Goodman at (800) 274-2237, ext. 4457.