About the 2014 Senior Immunization Grant Awards
Grants provided by the Anthem Foundation and Pfizer Inc. allowed resident physicians from 16 Family Medicine residency programs in 13 states to learn quality improvement project design, implementation, and analysis by focusing on increasing the immunization rates of medically underserved patients age 65 and older during the 2014-15 influenza season.
The AAFP Foundation Immunization Award Committee selected the 2014 Senior Immunization Grant Award recipients listed below based on their ability to implement best practices and to identify high-impact, team-based solutions to increase influenza and pneumococcal immunization rates in seniors.
Outcomes and Reports from the 2014 Award Recipients
From September 2014 through March 2015, the 16 Family Medicine residency program (FMRP) quality improvement (QI) projects provided a total of 27,346 influenza and/or pneumococcal vaccines to seniors. When averaged over the 16 FMRPs, immunization rates for influenza and pneumococcal vaccines were improved by 12.8% and 21.4%, respectively.
The resident-designed projects actively engaged 283 resident physicians, 92 facilties, 32 medical students, and 81 health care staff in the quality improvement efforts. During the project period, 32 interventions to improve immunization rates were employed by one or more of the FMRPs. Outcomes from the QI projects are reported below.
All FMRPs were required to submit their results and findings, and present these in a poster session at the 2015 National Conference. To offer additional insight into the processes undertaken, the AAFP Foundation produced case studies on 7 of the 16 projects. Posters, final reports and case studies (when applicable) are available below.
- Georgia Regents University Augusta Family Medicine Residency(7 page PDF); Augusta Georgia.
- See also: GRU Case Study(3 page PDF).
- Hidalgo Medical Services Family Medicine Residency(11 page PDF); Silver City, New Mexico.
- See also: HMS Case Study(2 page PDF).
- HonorHealth Family Medicine Residency(7 page PDF); Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center Family Medicine Residency(9 page PDF); Los Angeles, California.
- See also: Kaiser LAMC Case Study(3 page PDF).
- North Shore – LIJ: Southside Hospital & Glen Cove Hospital Family Medicine Residencies(14 page PDF), New York.
- Ohio State University Department of Family Medicine(11 page PDF); Columbus, Ohio.
- Oregon Health & Science University Family Medicine Residency(8 page PDF); Portland, Oregon.
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center Family Medicine Residency(11 page PDF); Pomona, California.
- See also: PVH Case Study(3 page PDF).
- Rose Family Medicine Residency(6 page PDF); Denver, Colorado.
- Rutgers Robert Woods Johnson Medical School Family Medicine Residency(10 page PDF); New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- See also: Rutgers RWJMS Case Study(3 page PDF).
- Scripps Mercy Family Medicine Residency(9 page PDF); Chula Vista, California.
- Southern Illinois University Quincy Family Medicine Residency(8 page PDF); Quincy, Illinois.
- See also: SIU-QFM Case Study(2 page PDF).
- Southern Regional Area Health Education Center(11 page PDF); Fayetteville, North Carolina.
- St. Mark’s Family Medicine Residency(8 page PDF); Salt Lake City, Utah.
- St. Vincent’s Family Medicine Residency(8 page PDF); Jacksonville, Florida.
- See also: St. Vincent's Case Study(3 page PDF).
- Wright State University Family Medicine Residency(15 page PDF); Dayton, Ohio.