The principal investigator must be a Family Medicine researcher (a clinician or PhD). The principal investigator or one of the co-investigators must be a member of the AAFP. Priority is given to new researchers or those who mentor new investigators on the research team. The following may apply:
- Individual family physicians
- Family Medicine organizations or associations
- Family Medicine residency programs
- Department of Family Medicine
- Education and health care institutions or organizations that will use the JGAP support exclusively for research projects directly involving and impacting Family Medicine
How to Apply
First, read the following document:
Instructions: JGAP Grants(7 page PDF): Detailed instructions for completing the JGAP application.
There are two JGAP cycles annually. For each cycle, the deadline to submit an application is January 7 and July 7. When the deadline date falls on a weekend or holiday, proposals are due the following workday.
- Applications first receive an administrative review to verify that the application has been properly prepared and completed. Only those that adhere to the application instructions will be reviewed and considered.
- After the administrative review, fully prepared applications are submitted to the Research Commitee (RC) for review and ranking.
- Recommendations for grant funding are made by the RC and the formal awarding of grants is done by the AAFP Foundation Board of Trustees.
- Feedback is provided from the RC to applicants whose submissions are not funded.
- JGAP awards for applications with a January 7 submission deadline are announced late May.
- JGAP awards for applications with a July 7 submission deadline are announced late November.
Please contact Sharon Hunt at (800) 274-2237, ext. 4474.