JGAP Fact Sheet
There are two JGAP cycles annually. The application due date for each cycle is:
- December 1
- July 1
When the deadline date falls on a weekend or holdiay, proposals are due the following workday.
What We Fund
- Projects of one or two years duration
- Each proposal must be for a separate and unique project
- What does not qualify: cost for running/implementing program, and indirect costs/support for activities such as videotape production, curriculum design, etc.
The principal investigator must be a Family Medicine researcher (a clinician or PhD). The principal investigator or one of the co-investigators must be a member of the AAFP. Priority is given to new researchers or those who mentor new investigators on the research team. The following may apply:
- Individual family physicians
- Family Medicine organizations or associations
- Family Medicine residency programs
- Department of Family Medicine
- Education and health care institutions or organizations that will use the JGAP support exclusively for research projects directly involving and impacting Family Medicine
How to Apply
Details about the grant application, including submission requirements, are contained in the application instructions.
- Submitted applications first receive an administrative review to verify that the application has been properly prepared and completed. Only applications that adhere to the application Instructions will be reviewed and considered for grant support.
- Fully prepared applications are then submitted to the Research Commitee (RC) for review and ranking. The RC offers suggestions or provides additional advice to applicants, who are unsuccessful in securing a grant award, to help strengthen the proposal for future submission.
- Recommendations for grant funding are made by the RC and the formal awarding of grants is done by the AAFP Foundation Board of Trustees.
- JGAP awards for applications with a December 1 submission deadline are announced in late May to early June.
- JGAP awards for applications with a July 1 submission deadline are announced in late November to early December.
WHY DONATE TO THE AAFP FOUNDATION?
Supporting your Foundation means you believe in the power of family medicine and in the importance of helping others.
"Your support of the AAFP Foundation has a tremendous effect…the Foundation funds Academy programs such as Tar Wars that directly impact kids and the public health.”
Jeffrey J. Cain, MD, FAAFP