Take a look at our free and fully searchable PDF catalog Guide to the Collections of the Center for the History of Family Medicine (397-page PDF file), which features a complete listing of the Center's archival, library, and museum holdings.
Collections in the Center for the History of Family Medicine (CHFM) include:
- Audio and videotapes
- Electronic media (CDs, DVDs, diskettes, etc.)
- Oral histories
- Personal and professional papers of family physicians and family medicine educators
Records of family medicine organizations include:
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation (AAFP/F)
- American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM)
- Association of Departments of Family Medicine (ADFM)
- Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors (AFMRD)
- North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG)
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM)
These materials provide a window on the changing face of family medicine from its rich legacy of general practice to the rise of the modern family physician. The collections include a wide variety of materials, ranging from 18th and 19th Century medical books, diaries, and daybooks to 21st century institutional records.
The History Center is the only institution dedicated exclusively to preserving and sharing the history of family medicine in the United States. It documents a profession actively involved in education, leadership development, advocacy, and the continuing care of patients from birth until death. The Center celebrates family medicine's distinguished past and looks forward to its promising future.
(397-page PDF file; About PDFs