Student Externship Matching Grants
Since its inception, the Student Externship Matching Grants program has partnered with AAFP Constitutent Chapters and Chapter Foundations in 44 states and provided $1,020,000 in matching grants to support 816 student externships.
The goal of the Student Externship Matching Grants Program is to stimulate interest among medical students to select a career and/or pursue research opportunities in Family Medicine.
Student Externship Matching Grants are available only to Constituent Chapters and Chapter Foundations.
2016 Matching Grants: Apply Now!
The 2016 Letter of Intent
(1-page Word file) is a simple application which must be submitted by the Constituent Chapter or Chapter Foundation applying for the matching grants.
Letters of Intent will be accepted from November 6, 2015 through February 5, 2016. The deadline to apply is February 5, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. Central Time.
There is an advantage to submitting your Letter of Intent early, as explained in the Student Externship Matching Grant Guidelines.2016 Matching Grant Awards will be announced on February 12, 2016.
Describes eligibility, program administration, Chapter responsibilities and provides dates for application, notice of award, payment requests, etc.
Chapters and Chapter Foundations from 17 states were awarded 25 matching grants totaling $31,250.
Request for Payment
- The Request for Payment form (1-page Word doc) should be submitted once the student and mentor have been matched.
- One form should be completed for each matching grant received unless more than one student is funded using a matching grant.
- If more than one student is funded with a matching grant, then one Request for Payment form should be completed for each student funded through that matching grant.
- It is the responsibility of the Chapter or Chapter Foundation that received the matching grant to submit the Request for Payment.
- The deadline to submit a Request for Payment is October 17, 2016.
Please contact Sondra Goodman or call (800) 274-2237, ext 4457.