The AAFP Foundation provides two scholarships for Family Medicine residents to be part of the Family Medicine Cares International Delegation to Haiti.
Trip Date: February 15 - February 22, 2020
Please send an email to request an application when they become available for the 2020 Delegation Trip in July 2019.
The scholarship covers the following expenses:
- Travel to Haiti and in-country, including housing and food.
- Resident scholar will give a presentation on the experience at the AAFP National Conference and expenses will be covered as part of the travel scholarship.
- Maximum amount travel scholarship is $5,000.
- Candidates must be a Family Medicine Resident in good standing. The more years in residency training, the higher the ranking.
- Candidates must provide a compelling letter of intent that addresses what the scholarship would do for their interest in global health and the impact on their education. This letter would be shared with sponsors donors/organization if chosen.
- Candidates must submit a letter from their program director stating their support of the trip and the impact the resident will make if chosen.
- Candidates should have an interest in international Family Medicine and some international travel and involvement in humanitarian initiatives.
- Candidates should be able to provide patient care in community clinics under the direct supervision of another member of the Patient Care Team as his/her preceptor.
- Candidates should have good communication/writing skills, as demonstrated in his/her cover letter.
- Candidates will have demonstrated leadership skills.
- Candidates have a valid passport and does not have any disabilities that would preclude him/her from travel or heavy lifting (being dependent on others).
- Candidates must be eligible to present during the AAFP’s National Conference for Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students in 2020.
- All required documents must be received by the application deadline.
a. Completed electronic FMCI Delegation Volunteer
Application and Travel Registration Form
b. Letter of Intent (as described above)
c. Letter from your program director (as described above)
d. A copy of your current medical license
e. A copy of your medical degree
f. A copy of your CV (resume)
g. A copy of your DEA certificate
h. A color copy of your Photo ID (Driver’s License)
i. A color copy of your Passport (must be dated 6 months
past the date of return from deployment).
Support for this scholarship is made possible by the Dr. David and Karen Smith Humanitarian Fund and The Making a Difference Foundation.