1. Medical Students
3. Selected winners must be willing to create a 5-minute video in collaboration with the AAFP Foundation summarizing their essay. This video will be promoted through a video presentation at the next National Conference at the CHFM booth.
NOTE: (Non-winning applicants may apply more than once, provided they still meet all eligibility criteria listed above.)
Application Process: The application period opens on August 15 and closes on November 1, 2022. Apply through the online portal by clicking on the Apply Today button below. For questions, please contact Veronica Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org) or (913) 906- 6239.
To complete the online application process, please include with submission the following items:
1. Only one entry may be submitted per applicant.
2. The essay may be on any historical subject related to Family Medicine in the United States. The subject of the historical essay may have national, state, or local relevance. Examples of topic areas include, but are not limited to:
3. The essay should be written in American Medical Association (AMA) style of format. It should not exceed 3,750 words and must be double-spaced with a 12-point font with minimum 1-inch margins, exclusive of reference listing.
4. The paper must not be submitted to, or published by, any journal or entered in any other contest prior to submission to the CHFM Essay Contest or during the selection process. Essays that are not selected as winning essays in this competition may be submitted to other contests/publications after the winners are announced.
5. All entries must be written in English
6. Essays not meeting all requirements will not be accepted.
All completed applications and supporting materials will then be reviewed by the Student and Resident Essay Selection Subcommittee of the Board of Curators of the Center for the History of Family Medicine, consisting of distinguished family physicians, educators and leaders in the specialty. The Subcommittee will make the final selection of the Fellow, subject to the approval of the Board of Curators and the Board of Trustees of the American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation.
For additional information, including full contest rules and past winners, visit the CHFM webpage. Any questions please contact:
11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway
Leawood, KS 66211
Telephone: (913) 906- 6239